Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Countries in the Olympics

I know it is almost over anyways, but for a while, I could not tell what some of the countries were, some I had no clue existed until now! For those interested, this is a small list of some of the countries that some may NOT have heard of, or know the abbreviation.

PNG - Papau New Guinea (abbr. was tricky to me until I saw the flag)
NZL - New Zealand
MAR - Morocco (Yeah...definitely did not know that abbr.)
LTU - Lithuania (It's one of three smaller countries in eastern Europe (with Latvia and Estonia)
CAF - Central African Republic (I wish they would've used CAR)
ERI - Eritrea (African country just north of Ethiopia)
AZE - Azerbaijan
ESP - Spain (Spanish form of Spain is EspaƱa)
ISL - Iceland (should've used ICE in my opinion)
BUR - Burkina Faso (Medalless country in Africa, neighboring Mali)
CPV - Cape Verde (Islands off Africa)
LIE - Liechtenstein (European country between Austria and Switzerland)

Many more exist, but as I am currently watching the Olympics, I will leave it to you to research more. It is a GREAT way to learn about the world and the many countries that rarely are heard of outside these epic games.

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS to Shawn Johnson on her Gold medal win in Balance Beam! I must say, I am very impressed with the skills of the U.S. Women's Gymnastics team, and I will say that I will fully support her, Nastia, and all the rest of the team should they decide to travel to London in 2012! Speaking of which, does anyone know what music Shawn used in her floor exercise? I LOVED it!

No comments:

My favorite Music!