Saturday, August 9, 2008

Playlist explanations - Part 1

Ok, while I am working on my new tonality, I am going to take some time to explain some personal connections to the songs in my playlist (see below the blog entries).

1. The Final Countdown - Europe
This one is special as I first heard it after a fairly difficult time at school. I thought it was awesome with the beginning fanfare of trumpet/organ mix, or what at least sounded like them. I ended up purchasing the song, and have since learned to perform it on the piano, to the amusement and chagrin of my peers. It really is catchy, but alas, it is a One-Hit wonder by this band.

2. Invincible - Pat Benatar
This one I have heard on a local radio station for a few weeks now, and I just like the chord progression and the voice. It just seems to fuse perfectly.

3. Water Night - Eric Whitacre (sorry if last name is spelled wrong)
Ok, unlike half the women at my school, I like his music for the MUSIC, not the looks of the guy! Sheesh...anyways, this shows just how delicate and dense his tonal structure can be. To be fair, his work in this helped inspire my decision to look for a deeper tonality. Most say this is one of his most moving works, but that is something for you to decide.

4. Only Time - Enya
I remember this song from when I was in elementary school...I thought it was amazing with such a poignant message and equally powerful technological music application. This helped me get into modern music before starting my musical life on the cello.

5. You are Not Alone - Michael Jackson
This one is REALLY personal, as it was the last song sung at my middle school talent show, by two very good singers. One of them, my unknown "twin", really fell to tears while singing it. I have to think that this song sort of explains how my life has been up to this point. It always helps to have a friendly reminder that no one is alone. Somewhere out there, there is someone that is thinking, wondering, or perhaps caring about you. Do not fall into despair, but look up and just know, someone does care. You are really not alone.

6. Africa - Toto
This song is just catchy, but I loved the instrumental use and the musical scale used. It also is moving as it helps for you to see that there is something there for everyone, and you are the only one that can do something, and while you may not know it at the time, the world will be better for it.

Perhaps later I'll give more connections, but for now, I will leave it for you to enjoy! Have a good day!

No comments:

My favorite Music!